North Star Tannery

North Star Tannery, established in 1871, covered a large site between the Little Juniata River and the Pennsylvania Railroad, on the eastern side of Pennsylvania Avenue, Tyrone. Employing about 40 men, the tannery handled as many as 125 hides a day. Some of the hides were obtained from Western cities, including Omaha, Kansas City, Chicago, and St. Louis. The product was union crop sole leather, all of which was shipped to Boston.

Photo credit: Virginia Dollar