United Brethren Congregation

This two-story, frame structure (at right) is the oldest building in Tyrone. Built in 1855 by the United Brethren Congregation, worship services were held on the second floor. It is located along the railroad, at the corner of Washington Avenue and 12th Street. The first level was unfinished, having only a dirt floor.

The Brethren Church was active in the Abolition Movement, and many Brethren churches and homes served as stops on the Underground Railroad, assisting runaway slaves heading to freedom in the North or Canada. The crawl space under this building suggests its use as a stop on the Underground Railroad, but no historical evidence has yet been found to support this claim.

Early in 1864, the U.S. Government took possession of the building and converted it into a barracks for cavalry troops. During the Civil War, the old church helped with the overflow of wounded from the field hospitals. Later, the building became a theatrical-artist studio for the W. F. Wise Co. When the company fell on hard times in the early 1900s, the building was sold. Since then, it has been used as a warehouse, a woodworking shop, and a flea market.

Photo credit: Bradley Maule

Pennsylvania's state locomotive, the PRR K4s, rumbles past on an excursion in the 1980s.