Ward House

ward house a

The Ward House, pictured here on July 4, 1911, was located near the railroad station at 900 Pennsylvania Avenue. It was built in 1862 by Mrs. Mary Ward as a frame house with three stories and a basement, with two wings. The brick portion was added in the 1890s. J. A. Gardner opened his first candy store in this building, and Cosmo Mannino operated a wholesale banana business in the back of the adjoining building.


ward house b


ward house c

The Ward House, 2002. Mrs. Ward's original fram house, on right, was demolished in 2004.


ward house d

The Ward House, 2011.

Photo credits: historic photos, TAHS archives; 2011 photo by Bradley Maule.