Founded in 1850,
Tyrone originally was called “Eagleville,” then “Shorbsville,” and then “Tyrone
On July 27, 1857, the boundary lines ran from Main St. (Pennsylvania Ave.) to Juniata St. (10th St.) to Cameron Ave.
to Dallas St. (14th St.).
Because of its geographical location at the juncture of the Little Juniata River
and the Bald Eagle Creek, and between the Allegheny and Brush Mountains,
Tyrone became a railroad town rather than an iron industrial town. However, two other industries have
been — and will continue to be — important to the growth and development of Tyrone.
They are the paper mill and agriculture.
In 1975, the U.S. Rt. 220 Bypass (now Interstate 99) replaced many of the
homes in East Tyrone as well as the Wilson Chemical Buildings. Pennsylvania Ave. ran from the railroad
station in the south to Westvaco lines in the north.
The wye tracks connected the Bald Eagle Valley Railroad with the main line of the Pennsylvania
Railroad. With the decrease in train business, the depot was demolished in 1968. For a history of the Tyrone
train station, click here.
The Athletic Park (now the site of the Industrial Park) was a focal point for
recreation from 1910 to 1945. Reservoir Park continues as a free, popular public resort with
picnic tables, swings, and rides for children along with a band shell for concerts. Its lake once
provided ice for home refrigeration, but now the young people use it for fishing in trout season.