Johan Adam Hiller, a
harness-maker, built the Hiller Block. In 1872, the
frame building was replaced by the present brick
structure. He operated his business on the first floor
In 1892, Johan’s son,
William F. Hiller, founded the W. F. Hiller Insurance
Agency on the second floor.
In 1920, extensive remodeling
took place after the building was badly damaged by
fire. The insurance business moved to the first floor.
Another store and apartments also are contained in the
insurance/real-estate business has been in continuous
operation in this building since 1892, making it the
oldest business now in the Borough of