TyrHistSoc logo


Mission Statement

Tyrone History Museum

Archives & Research Facility

Society Program Meetings

Other Events

Newsletter

Tyrone History Brief

Fowler’s Panoramic View of Tyrone in 1895

Gallery of Vintage Pictures of Tyrone & Environs

Gallery of Wilson Chemical Co. Prints

Gift Shop

Board of Directors

Bylaws

Membership Application Form

Related Links




TYRONE’S ARCHITECTURE

YMCA detail

Detail Municipal Bldg

Detail IOOF Bldg

23-25 W 10th St. detail

    Tyrone Borough’s Historic District contains a wide sampling of the 19th-century and early 20th-century revival styles. Most buildings were erected between 1850 and 1930. The buildings of the 1850s were largely wooden and of inexpensive construction. 

    The 1880 fire that wiped out most of the western side of Pennsylvania Ave. (then Main St.), from Herald St. south to 10th St. and on the northern side of 10th St. west to Logan Ave., resulted in most buildings being replaced with brick and stone structures. (For a map of Tyrone click here.) The two-part commercial block displays a carryover of an earlier period where the lower floor is used as a shop and/or store and the upper floors used for more private functions such as offices, apartments, and social halls. 

    Tyrone is fortunate to have a relatively intact stock of commercial and residential buildings from earlier decades that contributes to its visual impression. On the upper stories of some buildings, the facade ornamentation still is in its original form. Construction dates and names are inscribed on the cornices of several buildings. 

    Tyrone is historically significant for its many contributions to transportation, commerce, and architecture.


Back 
Tyrone Area Historical Society Home Page